Biosecurity Checklist for Barn Managers
- Create a quarantine protocol for new horses to the farm.
- Add fans and open windows to enhance air circulation.
- Create tall, solid stall walls or leave an empty stall in between horses to prevent horse interactions.
- Waterproof/seal untreated wood or replace stall materials to make stalls easier to disinfect.
- Group horses by the owner or by use and age.
- Create a quarantine area/facility away from the resident horse housing.
- Place a footbath at the entrance to the quarantine area/stall when horses are present.
- Create clear signs and barriers for the quarantine area.
- Make the feed room as resistant to infestations as possible.
- Train staff and owners on proper horse handling.
- Separate paddock fences by at least 3 feet.
- Give horses in private turnout their own water buckets that are sanitized between horses.
- Exclude natural water sources when designing paddocks.
- Fill holes, replace the water in troughs, and avoid housing horses near streams or ponds.
- Create a rodent and vermin control program to keep wildlife from the barn.
- Each horse has their own dedicated equipment, including buckets, halters, tack, and brushes.
General Equine Health
- Require horses to be on a parasite control program.
- Post signs with healthy horse vital signs and clinical signs of disease.
- Learn healthy vital sign values and teach them to staff.
Medical & Travel Records
- Map your farm, with locations of stalls and paddocks for each horse.
- Provide separate equipment for feeding horses and removing waste.
- Remove waste from the property weekly.
- Keep a log of visitors to the farm, including contact information.
Returning to the Farm
- Quarantine horses that have been off the property.
- Keep a temperature log of quarantined horses.
Cleaning & Disinfection
- Place footbaths at the entrance to the farm/barn.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions for the disinfectants.
- Clean and disinfect stalls between horses using them.
Training Farm Employees
- Train employees in good biosecurity practices.
- Education & Announcements
- Place educational posters about best practices around the farm.